Yoshinkan Aikido

A training journal of my experiences at the Brisbane Dojo of Yoshinkan Aikido

June 28, 2003

tyrone.id.au
Grading went well and it was the largest grading the dojo has ever done!!!

There were 20 groups that graded and the whole grading lasted approx. 5 hours!! A long time to sit in seiza.

My 6th kyu shinsa went well and my partner was also grading for the same level. I have never met my
partner until today so it was also a test to work in harmony with each other. I have trained with the other guys
all week and was feeling really comfortable as I was becoming familiar with everyones style. But not to worry,
the grading went well and I will find out on Monday if I passed.

During the week I got the opportunity to do some ukemi practice. Before class one of the senior black belts rounded up
all us white belts sitting on the edges of the mat and insisted that we should all practice ukemi. He got some extra
mats and stacked them so that we had extra softness to work on. This was a real confidence booster and
he showed us some really insightful tips on the correct technique for ukemi.

After trying so hard by myself and landing on my neck and head I now understand where I am going wrong. I am
dropping my head too much when I start and not bringing my back arm around enough to allow my body to flip over.
I am committed to getting ukemi right and I will keep on practicing. OSU.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home